Monday, July 29, 2013

If it happened at all...

From E.M. Forster's ''A Room With A View'':
Lucy Honeychurch, George Emerson and Mr. Emerson watch the fresco ''The Ascension of St. John'' by Giotto, at the Santa Croce in Florence.

Lucy: ''Now did this happen, or didn't it? Yes or no?''

George: ''It happened like this, if it happened at all. I would rather go up to heaven by myself than be pushed by cherubs; and if I got there I should like my friends to lean out of it, just as they do here.''

Mr. Emerson: ''You will never go up. You and I, dear boy, will lay at peace in the earth that bore us, and our names will disappear as surely as our work survives.''

George: ''Some people can only see the empty grave, not the saint, whoever he is, going up. It did happen like that, if it happened at all.''


No comments:

Post a Comment